Every Sunday, I set aside time to meal prep different breakfasts and lunches throughout the workweek. I am the kind of person that gets bored with repetition, especially when it comes to food. I’m not the biggest fan of leftovers, maybe after a few days, but eating the exact same thing as the morning before just does not appeal to me.
To help this, I meal prep smaller batches of different variations of food. For lunch, I love making a few containers of this skinny cheesy shrimp pasta, some teriyaki chicken stir fry bake, or even this light fruit & nut chicken salad. Lunch is pretty easy & has a ton of different options. Breakfast, however, is pretty basic. To switch it up, I create some chocolate covered almond protein bites, a few make ahead breakfast parfaits, these chocolate chip banana bread overnight oats, and now, these roasted red pepper breakfast sandwiches!
Eggs is the mornings (or even as a snack) has always been a favorite of mine. There are so many freezer breakfast sandwiches out there, but when I checked out the label and realized the amount of sodium in them + the price, I realized that it is much healthier to make my own, as well as a lot more cost effective.
Since being on the 21 Day Fix, I’ve become much more aware of what goes into my body and foods I’m choosing throughout the day. I’ve cut down SO much on eating out and have relied on my kitchen a lot more than usual. My body is thanking me, and so is my wallet. 😉
If you struggle with eating the same thing every day and want to cut out eating out more, I challenge you to take on my point of view with meal prep and create a few different options! That way, you can grab what you feel at the moment without being limited to one thing for the next 5 days.
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup of veggies (I chose red pepper; I also love adding spinach to these but I was out)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or a milk of your choice)
- 6 everything bagel thins (or whole wheat sandwich thins)
- 6 slices of cheese (I choose to use thin sliced provolone)
- Red chili flakes, garlic powder, black pepper *to taste
- In a large bowl, scramble 1 dozen eggs with 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Slice up your red pepper into small bites + mix in with the egg mixture along with your spices. I used about 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and black pepper
- Pour egg mixture into a greased baking sheet and cook at 350 for about 15 minutes
- Slice the cooked eggs into 6 equal squares
- Place egg on bagel thin with a slice of cheese
- Wrap in tin foil + label + place in freezer bag until you’re ready to use
- When you are ready to eat them, wrap the sandwich in a damp paper towel & microwave for about 2 minutes, or until it’s heated fully through
For those of you on the 21 Day Fix, 1 sandwich = 1 yellow | 1 red | 1/2 blue (if you’re using the thin cheese) ; I don’t count the green, simply because it’s less than 1/6 of a container and it’s extremely hard to over eat veggies.
3 questions for you:
- Have you tried to meal prep before? Do you like it?
- What is your favorite breakfast food?
- Are you a fan of left overs or eating the same foods everyday?