Sweet + Fruity Watermelon Pizza
As I told you before, I’m huge on making plays on typical foods in unusual ways.
I actually made two variations of these pizzas. One savory and one sweet. I did that once before with butternut squash in college and made a competition post of some sorts (check back on my beginner blogger skills if you want to check that recipe out), and had the same plan to do that here.
However. Something happened… I could not decide which I loved more.
SO, in spirits of not playing favorites, I’m giving each watermelon pizza their own posts. Because they REALLY deserve it.
[Check out the Savory Watermelon Pizza post here!]
This kind of recipe is my favorite when I need something to bring along to group events. Summer is hot and in full swing, and when I think of the sweltering heat that this season brings, watermelon is one of the first things to pop into mind, so this will probably be making an appearance at whichever party or get together we end up attending throughout the entirety of the summer.
Simple party recipes are my favorite because you can put it together quickly before heading out the door. Because, yes, I am that person who does everything last minute. Well, except when it comes to this skinny fruit punch sangria.. or these skinny pickled deviled eggs.. but something that is THAT delicious is worth the time in my book.
Let’s get to it!
- 1 large watermelon slab, cut all the way across into 2-3 inch slices
- About 2 tablespoons of raw honey (Tip! Did you know that local honey can help with seasonal allergies? If you struggle from them, try eating a tablespoon per day)
- 1/8 cup tablespoons of dried fruit (I used cranberry, pineapple, and cherries) *you can also use fresh fruit here! Try out blueberries, raspberries, or sliced strawberries!*
- Fresh mint leaves (to your liking)
- Ground cinnamon (to your liking- I used about 2 tablespoons)
- With a very sharp knife (and of course carefully), slice a 2-3 inch slab from the watermelon
- Top with drizzled raw honey
- Sprinkle on your desired amount of ground cinnamon
- Top with mixed fruit
- Roll some mint leaves in your fingers (it makes them more flavorful) and sprinkle on top of the watermelon
- Slice like a pizza and enjoy immediately
*note: due to the honey + watermelon being liquid-esq, your mint leaves will wilt if you made this too much in advance.
Questions for you:
- Are you more of a sweet or savory type of person?
- What did you do this past 4th of July weekend?
- What’s your favorite food to bring to a summer party?
This looks absolutely delicious! I am going to give this one a whirl :]
xx katie // a touch of teal
Let me know what you think, love! Xo