If I had to choose one food group to live on forever, I think Asian cuisine would win the battle. In an attempt to eat out less, I’ve been trying to make some of my classic favorite dishes at home (hello, talking about you, skinny teriyaki ‘fried’ rice), and these Asian inspired veggie spring rolls with a homemade sweet + spicy peanut sauce were my most recent battle.
I’m not sure why, but making my own spring rolls always seemed extremely intimidating. I’m not going to lie, the first time trying to figure out the rice paper was a total flop, but utilizing a non-stick wood serving tray as my rolling table actually ended up being my best friend. After I got the rolling technique down, making my own was a piece of cake. I can’t wait to continue to play around with various flavor combos and come up with more spring roll recipes! This girl = no longer intimidated. 😉
Ps- if you have not tried PB2 yet, you need to jump on the train! It is so good and a fraction of the calories / no oils / 85% less fat!
-Questions for you-
- Have you ever made spring rolls before?
- If you had to choose, spring rolls or egg rolls?
- If you could live off of one culture of food for the rest of your life, which would it be?
- 15 spring roll rice paper sheets
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cucumber, sliced long ways
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups fresh, raw spinach
- 1 package marinated tofu - sliced into strips (I let it sit in teriyaki sauce for a few hours in the fridge)
- 4 tablespoons PB2
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- Fill a thin dish or plate with water + one by one, soak a sheet of rice paper until it becomes soft enough to make into a spring roll
- Lay the wet rice paper sheet on a non stick surface. Fill with a few strips of tofu, carrots, cucumber, spinach, and bean sprouts
- Fold in the sides & then gently roll the mixture up in the rice paper + set aside on a separate serving dish
- In a bowl, combine your PB2 powder + water & stir until it creates a peanut butter consistency
- Mix your PB2 with sweet Thai chili sauce + soy sauce
- Serve + enjoy!